[ by Charles Cameron1984 comes to Venezuela? ]
.

I had just finished posting the somewhat Orwellian DoubleQuote above and a set of quotes from Biblical and Qur’anic sources in my welcoming comments on Adam Elkus‘s inaugural post here, which itself drew on Orwellian dystopia for its imagery, when a friend pointed me to an article about the recent institution of a Vice-Ministry for Supreme Happiness by Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro.

**

Bingo, Orwell again! Responses on Twitter were quick to invoke 1984:

In Orwell’s 1984, four ministries control Oceania:

• Minitrue is the Ministry of Truth, which controls literature and oversees propaganda
  • Minipax, the Ministry of Peace, oversees warfare
  • Miniplenty, the Ministry of Plenty, controls rationing of food and other goods, and
  • Miniluv, the Ministry of Love, deals appropriately with heretics and dissidents
  • I disclaim any deep knowledge of Venezuelan politics, although Ahmadinejad‘s claim that Chávez would be resurrected to accompany the Mahdi and Christ when they return certainly caught my attention… but these literary references impress me.

Specifically, the Venezuelan tweeters above suggest that Orwell “predicted” the Venezuelan Vice-Ministry, and that it will be followed next by Venezuelan versiuons of Minitrue and Miniluv.

**

George Orwell, the man of the hour / day / year / century / millennium… ?