News & Opinion on Terrorism & Strategic Communication â€” September 23, 2007
State Dept. Engages Blogs. There has been a minor rash of recent stories and commentary about the State Department’s use of blogs and web chats. The official website of the program is here. The recent posts:
- Message from DoS digital teams: Terrorism is dishonorable(NYT, 9/22).
- Web Chat to Give Insight About American Muslims (Arab News, 9/21)
- State Dept. Discovers Blogs. (Crossroads Arabia, 9/22).
Replacing “Jihad” a Muslim Brotherhood Info Op? Another minor rash of stories has popped up on this subject. Here are two:
- Naming bin Laden (Global Dashboard, 9/22)
- Hirabah-Not-Jihad push part of Muslim Brotherhood “strategic disinformation and denial and deception campaign” (Parabiodox, 9/20)
Thailand Cracks Down on Militants. “Government efforts to resolve the ongoing violence in Thailand’s four southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhlaâ€”which has claimed the lives of 2,400 people since January 2004â€”continue to emphasize a three-pronged strategy of reconciliation, improving socio-economic conditions and counter-insurgency (COIN) operations.” (Jamestown, 9/21)
Terrorism and Internet Use. “Today, most active terrorist groups have established their presence in some way or another on the Internet.” (Canada Free Press, 9/21).