Dr. Biden meets with students in an English class

Dr. Biden meets with students in an English class at the Anjuman-i-Islam Saif Tyabji Girl’s school. (Photo Credit: Carrie Levay)

As an educator, today was a special day for me in Mumbai. I visited the Anjuman-i-Islam Saif Tyabji Girl’s school. This all-girls Muslim school was founded in 1939 and serves 5,500 girls in grades K-12. The school has committed itself to being a dedicated public servant in the Mumbai area – many of the students are from local orphanages. I am happy to report that the US has recognized what an important role this school plays in the Mumbai community – we sponsor English classes and helped establish their computer lab. India and the US both understand the important opportunities education can provide – no matter the gender of the student. When the work force has access to education it creates more experienced workers as well as confident young women.

When I arrived at the school I was greeted by a lively band and then stopped by an English class. In fact, I caught the beginnings of a lesson on "conjunctions!" One of the students, Miss Zafar, was a spirited emcee and gave me a wonderful introduction to all the students at a school assembly.

read more