by Steven R. Corman
We at CSC currently have a search open for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Strategic Communication starting Fall 2013. The intial closing date is November 26. If you are interested and think you might be qualified please see the job description below.
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY
HUGH DOWNS SCHOOL OF HUMAN COMMUNICATION
The Hugh Downs School of Human Communication in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on the Tempe Campus of Arizona State University is seeking a tenure-earning assistant professor in strategic communication to begin in Fall 2013.
Successful applicants will articulate teaching and research efforts in relation to the School’s mission and the mission of the Center for Strategic Communication (CSC) within the New American University model. The school’s mission aims to produce transdisciplinary and interdisciplinary scholarship and teaching that responds to pressing issues in the world today.
The CSC is a trans-disciplinary effort crossing the social sciences, humanities, and engineering that aims to be a leading center of thought and research on problems of public sector strategic communication. It incorporates the efforts of faculty in diverse fields, including human communication, religious studies, film and media studies, psychology, social psychology persuasion and rhetoric, biomedical engineering and computer science. More information is available about the CSC at http://csc.asu.edu.
This position includes: teaching courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels; establishing and maintaining an ongoing research program in area of specialty; contributing to curriculum development; seeking external research funding; serving on school, college, and university committees; assisting with recruitment of students for ASU and the program; and, providing service to professional associations and the community. Salary will be competitive based on qualifications.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in communication or a related social science or humanities field that is complete or will be complete by August 2013.
- Candidates must have a research program focusing on strategic communication in public sector and/or nonprofit/non-governmental organizations focusing on one of: social media, narrative, persuasion, behavioral influence campaigns, public diplomacy, information operations, crisis/risk communication, propaganda, and related subjects.
- Candidates must be able to articulate how their research interests fit with existing external funding programs/priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to teach courses in strategic communication and/or other topics consistent with the HDSHC teaching mission.
- An existing publication record in one or more of the topics listed above.
- An existing external funding record, or experience working on funded projects, in one of the topics listed above.
- Experience organizing and leading research teams.
- Experience with cross-cultural interpretation and analysis.
The HDSHC includes 23 full-time faculty members and offers the BA, BS, MIP, and Ph.D. degrees in communication. The School offers laboratory facilities, computer resources, project support, grant development support, and a performance studio. The Main Campus is located in Tempe, a progressive suburb of Phoenix. Our location offers the resources of a major metropolitan area (5+ million) in a state with spectacular natural scenery and recreational areas, sublime winters, and a culturally rich population.
The application deadline is November 26, 2012; if the position is not filled, then applications will be accepted every subsequent Friday, as needed, until search is closed. Applicants must submit a cover letter specifying interest in the position and how their qualifications match the required and desired qualifications; curriculum vitae; names, addresses, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references; evidence of excellence in teaching (e.g. syllabi, teaching evaluations); and evidence of excellence in scholarship (e.g. reprints of published articles). A background check is required for employment.
Please submit your application materials as a single PDF document via email only to HDSHCrecruitment@asu.edu and put “Strategic Communication Search Committee” in the subject area of the email.
Arizona State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. ASU’s complete non-discrimination statement can be found at: https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/
For additional information:
HDSHC Strategic Initiatives: www.asu.edu/clas/communication/about
ASU, A New American University: http://newamericanuniversity.asu.edu/
Hugh Downs School: http://humancommunication.clas.asu.edu/content/employment