Proud to be the first American President to visit Kenya. Happy to see family, and to talk with young Kenyans about the future.
— President Obama (@POTUS) July 24, 2015
This week President Obama is traveling in Kenya and Ethiopia to attend the 2015 Global Entrepreneurship Summit and to meet with leaders from government, business, and civil society. The trip is reinforcing the U.S. commitment to expanding economic growth and trade, strengthening democracy on a global scale, and investing in the next generation of African leaders.
Follow along for highlights from the President's trip.
Thursday, July 25th
- On Saturday morning, the President spoke at the 2015 Global Entrepreneurship Summit
- President Obama visited the Power Africa Innovation Fair
- He then attended a wreath laying ceremony and then a welcome ceremony
- President Obama and President Kenyatta of Kenya then held a bilateral meeting and joint press conference
- In the evening, the President attended the Kenya State Dinner
— The White House (@WhiteHouse) July 26, 2015
Watch the President's full remarks at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit.
At the Kenya State Dinner, President Obama — along with President Uhuru Kenyatta and First Lady Margaret Kenyatta — performed the traditional Lipala dance at Nairobi’s State House.
President Obama shows off his moves. Even he couldn’t escape the Lipala dance craze that’s swept Kenya: https://t.co/4BId6a5pdM
— AJ+ (@ajplus) July 26, 2015
On Sunday, July 26, the President delivered remarks at the Safaricom Indoor Arena in Nairobi, Kenya. Watch the speech here:
- President Obama participates in a welcoming ceremony, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- The President and Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn held a bilateral meeting and press conference
- President Obama holds a multilateral meeting on South Sudan and counterterrorism issues with Kenya, Sudan, Ethiopia, the African Union and Uganda.
- President Obama attends a State Dinner with Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn
- President Obama Visits Faffa Foods, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- President Obama Holds a Bilateral Meeting with AUC Chairperson Dr. Dlamini Zuma
- President Obama Speaks to the African Union
— Feed the Future (@FeedtheFuture) July 28, 2015
Watch the President's remarks to the African Union: